The Hospital Systems Capacity Building Initiative incorporates cancer prevention and screening interventions into a hospital systems’ mission, priority setting, quality standards, and investment practices to help facilitate multisector partnerships to better address cancer prevention and screening priorities to improve population health outcomes.
Twenty-one selected hospital systems are building partnerships with communities of practice to share best practices and develop evidence-based, collaborative action plans to address cancer prevention and screening in their communities
The HSCB initiative focuses on three priority areas - HPV vaccination, colorectal cancer screening rates, and breast health equity.
The initiative is supported by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), specifically the Center for State Tribal Local and Territorial Support.
Build the capacity of hospital systems to engage in multisector partnerships:
- Hospitals are at the center of the Community of Practice sites.
- Work includes hospital system representation, state and local health departments, community or social service organizations, and ACS hospital systems relationship managers in the COP.
- The goal is to increase CRC screening, breast health equity, and HPV vaccination rates.
Implement evidence-based and informed interventions to increase screening and vaccination rates:
- Focus on sharing and utilizing evidence-based and informed interventions.
- Provide training and support to foster the understanding and utilization of the best practices.
- Share the information with a wider audience to help develop even stronger hospital relationships and initiatives.